sobota, 8 marca 2014

A March weekend in Berlin p. 2



Having accomplished my goal of Berlin visit I could start slow return stroll. The impeccable blue sky was ornamented by the Die Welt balloon, which ascended with yet another group of tourists watching the German capital from the balloons view.


I wanted to see the Branderburg Gate and Reichstag, so I took Eberstrasse. On my left I saw the eastern edge of Tiergarten. On the right there was an area on which a slowly rising hill of dark grey concrete blocks appeared. The Holocaust Monument. The theme of the monument is somehow mitigated by the toursts posing for photos and trying even to jump across the cubes. (A watchful woman guard did not allow it).



The next point -- the Branderburg Gate -- another structure that became a symbol of reunited Germany. When I looked at it I remembered Barbara Klemm's black-and-white photos of immense crowd of overjoyed Germans waiting for the opening in December 1989. Now the place is so colorful with multicultural crowd.



















It is after 4 pm and it seems that everybody is on a walk, taking advantage of early spring sun. Although the lawns have not recuperated after winter, there are groups of people basking in the mild sunshine in front of the Reichstag.



The sun was slowly getting down, when I decided to call it a day and slowly treaded to my airbnb Berlin shelter. On my way back I could admire the modern, rectanguar shape of Bundesamt building.



The Spree is not a majestic huge river, but it has its charm, which shows the best at the sunset.



Good night, Berlin...

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz